Brew in A Bag

Brew in A Bag

Postby Trekn1 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:39 pm

Anyone have experience with the brew in a bag? Is this a good segway from the extract kits into all grain brewing?
Trekn1

Re: Brew in A Bag

Postby Cookjpso » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:40 pm

Don't know much about BIAB. It would probably be a segway from extract to all grain. I would think this is simply taking your grain steep before adding the extract and just eliminating the extract. If that would be the case as long as your kettle is big enough you wouldn't need any additional equipment then you already would have if doing full wort boil extract beers. there are some foreseeable problems with this that are eliminated if you went to all grain this all stems for being in a bag. Low efficiency would be expected as the grain clumps no real way to know and break it up or to know for sure the grain in the center is saturated. Also rinsing the grain would be difficult as trying to get the water distributed through out would be near impossible in the bag. And may not want to even think about having adjuncts like wheat or rye as these would greatly increase the problems laid out above. Then there is temperature, this would be difficult as the grain would be confined to the bag and you need consistent temp through out so you would have to take readings through out the bag including the center. Again, I am no authority on BIAB, but from my experience in both extract and all grain this is what could be expected.
So if you are wanting to eliminate extract, spend the money and get a mash tun or build one. If your not wanting to add a mash tun, stick with extract.
Slainte
Cookjpso

Postby Trekn1 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:53 pm

Thanks for the info. Looks like I need to find a 10 gallon stainless pot...
Trekn1

Postby pflieger » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:00 am

Trekn1 wrote:Thanks for the info. Looks like I need to find a 10 gallon stainless pot...

Yeah, BIAB is really popular in the apartment crowd overseas. Being 'murican, we have garages, basements and sheds to store things and outdoors to spread out and brew.

Buying the pot only hurts once...
pflieger

Postby klandmeier » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:33 am

klandmeier

Return to General Beer Brewing